On May 25, 2008, at 12:46 AM, Martyn Hodgson wrote:

> Very good mt dear Howard - but really not at all.  I very much
> welcomed your informed contributions as testing the envelope of
> knowledge by citing early sources and organological data rather
> than assertions based simply on personal preference.  Sorry if you
> thought it at all wrathful!
>
> However, my complaint about Barber goes back many years (when I had
> the temerity to first question his identification of the 'Chambure
> vihuela' as a typical instrument for the early 16thC repertoire and
> his continuing failure to mention organolgical work undertaken by
> many others), and more recently (pasted below) when I pointed out
> that, despite his most recent criticism (and personal abuse)of me
> for advocating large theorbos, in fact his own website supported my
> position!

You have an expansive view of what supports your position.  I suppose
this is because your view is essentially an answer without a real
question, and thus meaningless, or at least nonsensical.  Making a
blanket statement about the historical size of theorbos without
factoring in the question of absolute pitch is like making a blanket
statement about how long a piece of rope should be.