How do do we (ie you) know, without prejudging the issue, that

 "1) the actual range of sizes of surviving instruments is much larger" This
implies you are able to identify double re-entrant instruments from single (not
to mention archlutes)- which may indeed be smaller;

 2) "99 cm is  extremely large by any standard"  Again you're prejudging the
issue. In fact this size fits with the largest extant instruments,

 3) "Praetorius never got within 400 km of Padua, let alone Rome." So? Do you
really think there was little or no communication within Europe at the time?

MH