"damian dlugolecki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>>> Hello Mathias,   The concept of this lute is to be able to use the
same
>>> diapasons, of gut, for the lower courses.
>>> ... This is one of those concepts that
>>> reaffiirms the notion that the lute was strung completely in gut.

> > BTW, the Mest lute had overspun bass courses (copper).

> Well, of course if this lute survived into the 19th century, it was strung
> in a 19th century manner.

How do you know they are 19th century strings? I don't remember any
mention of that detail. Quite opposite...

> The fact that it had overspun basses on it at one
> time is not evidence that this is how it was strung during the 17th century.

What if those remnants are loose ends of 17th century strings? To be
sure, I for one would always prefer gut if I could afford so. However,
not even Mimmo rejects that demi-filée strings were used as basses on
lutes.

> The stepwise increase in string length is clearly a way to use gut of a
> moderately thick diameter, perhaps 1.40mm +or-,  to string all of the
> diapasons.  On an 11 course lute without the extended neck, the largest
> string one can use, practically speaking, is around 1.75-1.80mm.  To work
> optimally the string requires the highest torsion possible, a quality by no
> means universally available then or now since it requires considerable art
> to achieve these torsions.  But strings of moderate torsion of around 1.4mm
> were readily available.  The idea that the vibrating string length of the
> fingerboard strings was relatively short only supports the evidence of a
> design for basses of uniform diameter of moderate thickness and torsion.
> Hey, don't take my word for it.  Run it past Mimmo.

Yepp, that has been made clear by Mimmo, indeed!
--
Mathias