Dear Damian,

please do send answers to the list, too, so that other may get to know
your opinion directly instead of reading it from my quotes.

"damian dlugolecki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> It is unfortunate that Mimmo made that grand leap of illogic.  His analysis
> is normally quite sound.
> But in this instance he is stretching the facts to fit his hypothesis.

Pls elaborate.

> You haven't answered my point about lute construction.  The advent of wound
> strings had an
> effect on the construction of  bowed instruments, thrust pitch levels down,
> and even made possible
> instruments like the viola bastarda or the cello piccolo da spalla.  But
> during the twilight of the era of the
> lute they were still making extended necked lutes.  This is firm evidence
> that the lute was for all time
> strung with gut.

The invention of theorbating (if that is a word) lutes was explained as
solution of problems with bass strings. Players wanted to have extended
bass registers, so thicker gut strings were needed. However, there's a
technical limit to making thicker gut strings. So, extended necks with
second pegboxes were invented so that longer gut strings could be used
instead of thicker gut strings for the basses.
Does that mean lute players rejected overspun gut strings once they were
invented in, say, 1660? Simple answer is, no. And why should they. Did
you try Mimmo's démi-file´´s on a swan neck? Not bad, eh?

> Don't get me wrong.  I'm not here to evangelize about gut strings.

That's okay with me. I'm into frsh nylgut strings >8)

> telling the truth about the history of the lute, and if you are serious
> about discovering the sound world
> of the lute, you have to explore the possibilities of gut strings.

Well, telling the truth is a tall order, to tell the truth (sorry,
couldn't resist), when evidence is lacking. At least, we have that Mest
beast with its filthy overspun red-handed strings still in the
bridge...

Mathias