At 01:45 AM 6/6/2008, David Tayler wrote:
>I take the quill and iron it with a heavy iron, then shape it.
>I prefer a slightly rounded tip.
>
>It's the only thing I iron, really.

My experiences with ironing goose quill, at least a split quill, have not
been good.  Perhaps other bird quills are better suited than goose or
perhaps you don't split the quill before ironing.  On the occasions I've
ironed, the quill was rendered too pliable to impart much energy to the
string, kinda like a Fender extra, Extra, EXTRA Thin...if they made such a
thing.  It just slid off the string with a slight "clack" and even slighter
tone from the string itself.

Part of making a functional quill is balancing its stiffness by
trimming/sanding the curl from the point.  The more curl that is removed,
the closer you approach something like a single plane on the point, and the
more pliable the plectrum becomes.  If you like a stiffer plectrum, simply
leave more curl.  Ironing removes all the non-parallel aspects, so you are
left only with the thickness inherent in the shaft wall to control the
stiffness of the plectrum.

>There are a number of other materials you can use, including thin
>strips of polished wood.

Again, a bit post-medieval, but the fine wood plectrum (specifically
cherry) was advocated by the mandolinist Bortolazzi in his 1805
method.  Bortolazzi was the dedicatee of Hummel's mandolin concerto.

Best,
Eugene