Howard
It is the same for double fretting. Mace says that single frets are ideal, and then only tells us how to double fret. Well, I have to say I can find no fault with the double fretting on my new lute, not a buzz anywhere to be heard.

I suppose we should look wider at instructions in all manner of other disciplines to try to see if there is a pattern in this, and if so what it means. Could it be that the instructor feels that some new idea, is probably better (or at least catching on) but not having adopted it, he fears he may be judged as old fashioned?

This is the sort of thing you still see in new theses, when a young research person has just heard of some new theory, but does not want to get bogged down for another year researching it. They tend to try to give an impression that they are giving it much thought, but in fact, they have not really completely come to grips with it.
Just my musings...
Anthony