From: "howard posner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My opinion and conclusion so far remains that no dogma will ever
prevail in that field, and no theory, as attractive as it may be,
will ever reconcile what was has, after all, never been reconciled
by our predecessors in the 16th - 18th centuries.

Perhaps more accurate to say our predecessors doubtless resolved
tuning questions in different ways, just as we do. There must have
been, for example, a standard Dresden court orchestra way to tune or
Hamburg opera way to tune.
Which could be too far from ET, considering the number of key an opera or an oratorio goes through. A violin sonata by Georg Muffat modulates enharmonically from D major to Bb major. There goes meantone out the window. RT