Both keyboard instruments with split keys and fretted instruments
with extra frets (either full extra frets or tastini, as both
existed) are able to play the enharmonic shifts.
All is possible; not all is desirable.

I think what one sees in the adjustments to instruments is that full
enharmonics enjoyed a bit of a vogue, but then practicality settles in,
and you see quite a number of organs with a few split keys. And the
ones with ALL split keys disappear.
And this goes pretty much with the music--it is really nice to have B
Major and C minor, but no one really needs the G flat.
Even in the Muffat example, with just one split key one can easily
play the D Major and B Flat major in a variety of temperaments.
Even with just lowering the sixth fret one can play "high-low" solutions.

I think the real question for me is as follows--
Am I missing something by not using meantone (or modified meantone)
for 17th century music?
And the answer for me is, Yes, Es Muss Sein. (Beethoven, 1826)
Practically, it more often is que sera sera (Livingston, 1956)
YMMV

When you get to Handel and Locatelli, where you really DO need the G
flat, it is clear that the rules have changed, and you are better off
with Neidhardt 24 or even Handel's own temperament, which no one uses
for Handel.

What you have then is kind of a "breaking point" for the number of extra keys.

dt