-- Cheaper option, and actually a bit better in sound than Sofracob
plain gut: (Sofracob) fret gut (you'd be surprised how many pro's do
this anyway).

  Thanks! That's the kind of thinking I was looking for- I've already
cheated with fret gut for courses where it should be "illegal" when
caught short for a gut string at an inconvenient moment's notice. I
may even have some fret gut to play with already- but I'm also hoping
to hear if anyone can recommend, say, Savarez copper wound vs. Nylgut
overspun  for excess brightness or vice versa- or whether any of the
synthetic monofilaments work tolerably, although I don't think I
could stomach the appearance of 6 or 7 of those bleached skull dead
white nylguts spanning almost 100 cm. in their typical ghostly array.

Another not option are the new Type C loads- just got this email from
Curtis Daily:

"The new Type C are available and are supposed to be very good, but
they are also incredibly expensive. I recently priced out 6 lute
basses for someone at $319.75. I won't be stocking them at those kind
of prices and will only be getting them when someone orders them."

   -- David - has a 61/106cm archlute with single basses

I see we are in the same ballpark. Is yours based on a particular
historical model? Mine was just a salvage operation, (done as a
favor),  on an old, small 10 course.