Daniel wrote:

  -- David - has a 61/106cm archlute with single basses

I see we are in the same ballpark. Is yours based on a particular
historical model? Mine was just a salvage operation, (done as a
favor),  on an old, small 10 course.

It's a combination of my wishes and the maker's ideas, so mine was done as a paid favor. ;-)

I had just one archlute 64/130cm. Good instrument, but a little too long for 440Hz. And it had to go up and down between 415 and 440 all the time. Within a day even on occasion. So I wanted/needed another archlute for 440. Hence the 61cm. The diapassons are as short as possible for single gut. Not because they sound better this way, long sounds better, but because it's easier to travel with. I don't fly much, but when I do I prefer an extra seat for the lute. This instrument in its case is just under 140cm, the other one over 155cm. Size matters in small planes and taxis.

David - pics somewhere on my website, under 'Instruments'