Peter wrote about Picinini:

Then there also is the other strange thing in his instructions.  I wonder,
did he loose his ring finger in a duel?  After acknowledging in passing
that finger's existence --maybe only in others?-- he seems to completely
ignore it.

There's a whole school of post 16th century century pluckers, including Piccinini, De Visée and Sor, just to mention some that spring to mind, that insist on still not using the ring finger. Some today like to to think it has to do with low tension stringing, some with playing thumb under, others with playing close to the bridge. One way or another, unless you adopt a modern classical guitar hand, there will be some compromise in tone production if you want to use all three (pinky is excused) fingers. Sor in his method even gives a neat diagram explaining how to get a better tone without the ring finger. I know, guitar is off-topic, but I think relevant to the subject in this case.

David - thinking they were all yakuza members, actually

That's not the only funny fingering he uses. Toccata XX for liuto has index finger dots going down to the 10 course in a bass run that finally ends on the 12th course. Has anyone tried to play it that way? I have also noted other ring finger allergy cases- from the usual suspects of 17th Century France to the late blues virtuoso Reverend Gary Davis (OT alert! Guitar!). Even Weiss eschews the ring finger in spots where I would tend to use it- unfortunately unlearning automatic ring finger usage is one thing I can't do- even with early Renaissance thumb under, planted pinky- but just four note chords in those instances.