I know of no evidence of stringing basses other than with gut (apart from plain
metal for the cittern family) before the later 17th century references (eg
Playford) to overwinding, thus Granata's (1659) basses would most likely have
been of gut and, due to the relatively short string length, therefore at the
higher octave.  The dating of De Gallot's book/pieces is, I believe, c. 1650 -
1684 and thus also likely to be plain gut.

MH