   was dedicated to Sainz de la Maza, especially after it was such a huge
   success.
   steve
   On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Arthur Ness
   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

     ----- Original Message -----
     From: "howard posner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     To: "Lute Net" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:18 PM
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Respighi
     | On Sep 28, 2008, at 12:24 PM, Arthur Ness wrote:
     |
     | > He argued that Segovia was lying
     | > when he bragged to have commissioned the first guitar concerto
     of
     | > the 20th
     | > century.
     |
     | What was this concerto Segovia was supposed to have commissioned?
     oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
     Good morning, Howard!
     It was the Castelnuovo guitar concerto that Segovia (or his
     biographer)
     claimed was the first guitar concerto of the 20th century.  It dates
     from
     1939.  The concertino dates from 1930.
     And even so, one suspects that surely, some place someone wrote a
     guitar
     concerto before that.   As far as I know the work has never been
     recorded,
     and I cannot find the composer listed in either the New Grove or
     Slonimsky
     dictionaries, or Austin (20th century music).
     Slonimsky mentions him in his book on music in Latin America (just
     four or
     five lines, iirc), and if you read between the lines (and Slonimsky
     was
     very skilled at back-handed compliments), he did not think much of
     his
     music: "An academic composer," or words like that.  So being first
     is not
     neccessarily best.  The guitarist/editor falsely claims Slonimsky
     championed the work, remarking that Adame held an honored place at
     the
     head of  his list of Latin American composers.  Sure.  And he would
     be
     last if his name was Zebra.<g>
     In fact it was Slonimsky who brought the manuscript of the concerto
     to the
     U.S.  He had been commissioned to travel trough Latin America and
     collect
     music from local composers.  Someone thought we should be more
     familiar
     with music south of the border.  All of the _*manuscript*_ music
     went to
     the Fleischer Collection at that library in Philadelphia, a lending
     library of orchestral
     music for performance (scores and parts).
        Found in: Free Library of Philadelphia
        Title: Concertino 3^o [=terzo] : Estilo mariache / Rafael G.
     Adame.
        Author: Adame, Rafael, 1905-
        ms score 29 pp. + parts
        Notes: 1. Preludio -- 2. Andantino ; fuga.
            solo guitar, 1 fl, 1 ob, 1 cl, 1 bsn and strings
            BIB Call Number: 985M ENTIRE WORK
     All of the _*printed*_ music that he collected is now in a basement
     somewhere.  I know where but I'm not saying.<g>  Maybe Eugene will
     find a
     peer-reviewer to test the truthfulness of my statement.
     More interesting to my way of thinking would not be "firsts" but
     "bests."
     My vote for the best guitar concerto of the 20th century would
     certainly
     include as first place the recently discovered Concerto for Two
     Guitars by
     Germaine Tailleferre, the female member of "Les Six.".  The guitars
     tend
     to be in the background, so perhaps it might not appeal to some
     guitar
     types.  But the harmonies and orchestral sonorities are so
     wonderfully
     transparent.  Lots of bi-tonal passages. Cross rhythms. A piano
     reduction
     with two guitars and full score was published about five years ago
     (Lagny
     sur Marne: Musik Fabrik, 2002 & 2008).  It is thought the concerto
     was
     composed for the Presti/Lagoya duo.
     It's on a CD featuring Chris Bilobran, "Compositon Feminine" Verlag
     Klaus
     Juergen Kompread VKJK 0422.  See [4]www.jklk.de
     The CD includes a nicely performed concerto-like overture with solo
     lute
     (played on guitar) by Camilla dei Rossi (d. ca 1710).  A delightful
     Italianate work. She was active in the Vienna Court, where the
     lutenist
     Francesco Conti was Kapellmeister.  She composed oratorios, often
     including prominent parts for lute, and had some contact with
     Handel.  Many of her scores are published by Clar-Nan Editions in
     Arkansas.  Apparently (iirc) the original lute parts are in pitch
     notation.
     The CD also has some virtuoso opera variations composed by Mauro
     Giuliani's daughter, Emilia Giuliani-Guglielmi.  Now that must be
     another
     furst of sorts.
     =====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
     This week's free download from Classical Music Library is Schubert's
     Symphony No. 3 in D, D. 200
     performed by the Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana, Alain Lombard,
     conductor.
     To download, click on the CML link here
     [5]http://mysite.verizon.net/arthurjness/
     My Web Page:  Scores