Well, we don't know for sure, but it is very likely that the "ow" is
like rose, doughnut, toad, etc., for the simple reason that Semper
Dowland Semper Dolens in its various forms has a nicer ring to it.
Having said that, England was famous for its eye rhymes and off
rhymes, the best example is perhaps Dowland's lute song "Come again",
where "die" rhymes with sympathy and misery. Eye rhymes are when the
word looks like a rhyme but isn't.
Even then, there is no guarantee that what we now consider to be
rhymes were not in the 16th and 17th centuries, and the other way
round. Or that they were closer, or more distant.
Lastly in regard to Dowland's name, diphthongs were much more
pronounced at this time, of the type that one hears in Canada and the
Netherlands in either English words or borrowed words--listen to the
Dutch word for House as a good example.
In the event that Dowland's name had a bit of a lilt to it, is would
be an off rhyme with Dolens, however, composers at this time both
Latinized and Italianized their names, so those affected variants
might have made a perfect rhyme.

Another famous rhyme pattern is "Roi de Soleil"--pronounced in old
French, it makes a very nice rhyme. Even this is the endless subject
of debate--since regional variations were--and are--so widespread.
dt