On Oct 3, 2008, at 1:21 AM, David Tayler wrote:

> Having said that, England was famous for its eye rhymes

You mean all over the Continent in 1600, poets were saying "You've
got to go to England and try the eye rhymes?"

Or do you mean that modern readers/listeners are struck by the number
of apparent eye rhymes in older English poetry?

> and off
> rhymes, the best example is perhaps Dowland's lute song "Come again",
> where "die" rhymes with sympathy and misery.
> Eye rhymes are when the
> word looks like a rhyme but isn't.

I think most of those "eye rhymes" were real, as in the love-prove-
move example I mentioned earlier.  Those rhymes show up so often that
it would be downright weird if they weren't real rhymes.

See, for example, how many times "eye" rhymes with something that
apparently sounds "ee".

Chaucer rhymed "eye" with "melody" in the Canterbury Tales around
1390.  500 years later, Blake rhymed "eye" with "symmetry" in The Tyger.