Hi Martyn,

Thanks. I had forgotten about the small Praetorius cittern. I was thinking of the Playford gittern/guitar tuning and wondering why people would use that, but now that you've reminded me of Praetorius, it's all clear.

What I understood is that people are using a gittern tuning for the broken consort repertoire. For my ears, a high tuning like that - higher than modern mandolin - is simply too high, and would perhaps sound rather choppy as well. I am willing to be convinced, though. In the Bacheler Consort - which, granted, is three lutes and a cittern - I'm already extremely loud - the cittern just seems to cut through rather well. I think an octave lower - in the same area as the lute - would be fine. The sound and parts are so different from the lute that I don't think there would be any interference.

I can understand the attractions of the gittern tuning for someone who is used to guitar and/or lute - it would certainly make things a lot easier. However, the re-entrant tuning has its own logic - especially the diatonically fretted one in French tuning, with octaves on the lower two courses. It takes some getting used to, but there are idiomatic elements that I think would be lost with the gittern tuning. I haven't got a chromatic cittern, so I can't really say whether things would be that different. I have often thought, though, how convenient it would be to have a top g.

All the best,

Doc