I last played the broken consorts a long, long time ago with a recorder
   and don't remember any problems with the octave shifts. I do remember
   some concern about whether the lute was loud enough.
   More recently I have enjoyed the CD by L'Poem Harmoniqe Love Is
   Strange, which includes broken consorts and arrangements of duets.
   Most (all?) of them are played with something other than the standard 6
   instruments and the performances really sound great to me.  Since
   hearing this I am becoming more in favor of looking at these consorts
   as scores with possibilities for all kinds of arrangements. The LSA
   Quarterly (February, 2008) has an article about playing the consorts
   with less instruments by Andrew Hartig "Re-envisioning the Broken
   Cosort: Doing More with Less."  If any of you, who are not subscribers
   would like a copy, email me back with a street address.
   Nancy Carlin

     These are interesting questions.  At the recent Lute Society weekend
     Ian Harwood managed to assemble a consort at the high pitch - a
     minor third above modern pitch. I played my "A lute" tuned up a
     semitone, strung all in gut except for the top string which was
     nylgut.  For a gut string I think you would need a slightly shorter
     string length (mine is 53.5cm).
     The treble part was played on a treble violin, the size of which
     made holding it quite tricky!  The consort sounded good and the
     advantage of the high pitch solution is that the flute/recorder
     parts fit in the "correct" place in the texture.  Ian does however
     have a bass flute which allows a low pitch consort to achieve the
     same thing.  In any case I think it depends which pieces we're
     talking about as to whether the octave displacement of the flute
     causes a problem or not.  Ian's "dual-pitch" hypothesis was
     originally based on the sizes of surviving viols, but he also has
     theories about the bandora which seem to make a lot of sense. I
     can't remember how it all relates to the sizes of surviving citterns
     but we used a small cittern for the high-pitch consort and it
     sounded fine.
     I note with interest that the designation "treble lute" and a high
     pitch of about a minor third above modern fits nicely with the
     notion that the "mean lute" was about a tone below modern pitch (a
     fourth lower than the high pitch) - arguments for which I have made
     elsewhere, e.g., in the brief essay on Dowland's lutes which can be
     found at [1]www.johndowland.co.uk
     Best wishes,
     Martin
     Sam Chapman wrote:

     Dear Lute list,
     I'm in the process of organizing a consort in Basel to play, among
     other things, pieces from the Morley consort lessons. Having read
     various articles on the subject and listened to recordings of the
     music, I'm left with some difficult questions:
     What pitch should the music be played at?
     What kind of flute should be used and should the part be played as
     written or up an octave?
     Why the designation for "treble lute" when clearly a G instrument is
     intended?
     These questions and others have been already been tackled by Ian
     Harwood in his several articles, but I would be very interested to
     hear other people's thoughts and opinions (and justifications). If
     you
     have experience performing this repertoire, how did you solve these
     problems?
     Many thanks,
     Sam

   Nancy Carlin Associates
   P.O. Box 6499
   Concord, CA 94524  USA
   phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
   web site - [3]www.nancycarlinassociates.com
   Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
   web site - [4]http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org