I have had the same experience as Nancy, and playing consorts with a recorder
was not a problem at all. You can just check that by listening to The Sacred
End Pavin ( http://tinyurl.com/54jvhd ) and the Galliard to The Sacred End (
http://tinyurl.com/4tw9mp ). No bandora, a bass lute in D instead, and no
cittern, a harp instead...  The balance is satisfactory, at least to my ears ;-)

All the best,

Jean-Marie

======= 06-10-2008 07:52:54 =======

>   I last played the broken consorts a long, long time ago with a recorder
>   and don't remember any problems with the octave shifts. I do remember
>   some concern about whether the lute was loud enough.
>   More recently I have enjoyed the CD by L'Poem Harmoniqe Love Is
>   Strange, which includes broken consorts and arrangements of duets.
>   Most (all?) of them are played with something other than the standard 6
>   instruments and the performances really sound great to me.  Since
>   hearing this I am becoming more in favor of looking at these consorts
>   as scores with possibilities for all kinds of arrangements. The LSA
>   Quarterly (February, 2008) has an article about playing the consorts
>   with less instruments by Andrew Hartig "Re-envisioning the Broken
>   Cosort: Doing More with Less."  If any of you, who are not subscribers
>   would like a copy, email me back with a street address.
>   Nancy Carlin
>
>     These are interesting questions.  At the recent Lute Society weekend
>     Ian Harwood managed to assemble a consort at the high pitch - a
>     minor third above modern pitch. I played my "A lute" tuned up a
>     semitone, strung all in gut except for the top string which was
>     nylgut.  For a gut string I think you would need a slightly shorter
>     string length (mine is 53.5cm).
>     The treble part was played on a treble violin, the size of which
>     made holding it quite tricky!  The consort sounded good and the
>     advantage of the high pitch solution is that the flute/recorder
>     parts fit in the "correct" place in the texture.  Ian does however
>     have a bass flute which allows a low pitch consort to achieve the
>     same thing.  In any case I think it depends which pieces we're
>     talking about as to whether the octave displacement of the flute
>     causes a problem or not.  Ian's "dual-pitch" hypothesis was
>     originally based on the sizes of surviving viols, but he also has
>     theories about the bandora which seem to make a lot of sense. I
>     can't remember how it all relates to the sizes of surviving citterns
>     but we used a small cittern for the high-pitch consort and it
>     sounded fine.
>     I note with interest that the designation "treble lute" and a high
>     pitch of about a minor third above modern fits nicely with the
>     notion that the "mean lute" was about a tone below modern pitch (a
>     fourth lower than the high pitch) - arguments for which I have made
>     elsewhere, e.g., in the brief essay on Dowland's lutes which can be
>     found at [1]www.johndowland.co.uk
>     Best wishes,
>     Martin
>     Sam Chapman wrote:
>
>     Dear Lute list,
>     I'm in the process of organizing a consort in Basel to play, among
>     other things, pieces from the Morley consort lessons. Having read
>     various articles on the subject and listened to recordings of the
>     music, I'm left with some difficult questions:
>     What pitch should the music be played at?
> [...]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://poirierjm.free.fr
06-10-2008