No wire strings??? What IS this world coming to...

(very nice just the same)

On Oct 6, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Jean-Marie Poirier wrote:

I have had the same experience as Nancy, and playing consorts with a recorder was not a problem at all. You can just check that by listening to The Sacred End Pavin ( http://tinyurl.com/54jvhd ) and the Galliard to The Sacred End ( http://tinyurl.com/4tw9mp ). No bandora, a bass lute in D instead, and no cittern, a harp instead... The balance is satisfactory, at least to my ears ;-)

All the best,

Jean-Marie

======= 06-10-2008 07:52:54 =======

I last played the broken consorts a long, long time ago with a recorder and don't remember any problems with the octave shifts. I do remember
 some concern about whether the lute was loud enough.
 More recently I have enjoyed the CD by L'Poem Harmoniqe Love Is
 Strange, which includes broken consorts and arrangements of duets.
Most (all?) of them are played with something other than the standard 6
 instruments and the performances really sound great to me.  Since
hearing this I am becoming more in favor of looking at these consorts
 as scores with possibilities for all kinds of arrangements. The LSA
 Quarterly (February, 2008) has an article about playing the consorts
 with less instruments by Andrew Hartig "Re-envisioning the Broken
Cosort: Doing More with Less." If any of you, who are not subscribers
 would like a copy, email me back with a street address.
 Nancy Carlin

These are interesting questions. At the recent Lute Society weekend
   Ian Harwood managed to assemble a consort at the high pitch - a
   minor third above modern pitch. I played my "A lute" tuned up a
   semitone, strung all in gut except for the top string which was
nylgut. For a gut string I think you would need a slightly shorter
   string length (mine is 53.5cm).
   The treble part was played on a treble violin, the size of which
   made holding it quite tricky!  The consort sounded good and the
   advantage of the high pitch solution is that the flute/recorder
   parts fit in the "correct" place in the texture.  Ian does however
   have a bass flute which allows a low pitch consort to achieve the
   same thing.  In any case I think it depends which pieces we're
   talking about as to whether the octave displacement of the flute
   causes a problem or not.  Ian's "dual-pitch" hypothesis was
   originally based on the sizes of surviving viols, but he also has
   theories about the bandora which seem to make a lot of sense. I
can't remember how it all relates to the sizes of surviving citterns
   but we used a small cittern for the high-pitch consort and it
   sounded fine.
   I note with interest that the designation "treble lute" and a high
   pitch of about a minor third above modern fits nicely with the
   notion that the "mean lute" was about a tone below modern pitch (a
fourth lower than the high pitch) - arguments for which I have made elsewhere, e.g., in the brief essay on Dowland's lutes which can be
   found at [1]www.johndowland.co.uk
   Best wishes,
   Martin
   Sam Chapman wrote:

   Dear Lute list,
   I'm in the process of organizing a consort in Basel to play, among
   other things, pieces from the Morley consort lessons. Having read
   various articles on the subject and listened to recordings of the
   music, I'm left with some difficult questions:
   What pitch should the music be played at?
   What kind of flute should be used and should the part be played as
   written or up an octave?
Why the designation for "treble lute" when clearly a G instrument is
   intended?
   These questions and others have been already been tackled by Ian
   Harwood in his several articles, but I would be very interested to
   hear other people's thoughts and opinions (and justifications). If
   you
have experience performing this repertoire, how did you solve these
   problems?
   Many thanks,
   Sam

 Nancy Carlin Associates
 P.O. Box 6499
 Concord, CA 94524  USA
 phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
 web site - [3]www.nancycarlinassociates.com
 Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
 web site - [4]http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org