Hi,

I don't think it was as you say: in the 16th C. Spain was already a nation state, ruled by a king. They had a very clear idea what bounderies meant, and therefore distinguished well between the different nationalities. "Extranjera" was understood as: outside the iberian territories.

BTW, the Covarrubias' dictionary (1611) is entitled "Tesoro de la Lengua Castellana, o EspaƱola".

Saludos,
Manolo Laguillo

El 04/11/2008, a las 16:52, Daniel Winheld escribiĆ³:

Venegas de Henestrosa 'Libro de Cifra Nuevo' (Alcala de Henares, 1557)
- Figueta castellano (Spanish figueta) = thumb index with thumb out

Any possibility that "Figueta Castellano" means exactly that, and
other Spanish areas might be "Extranjera" ? The nation state was a
looser concept & entity in those days; and with large parts of Italy
under Spanish political control and Italian viola/vihuela players
presumably using thumb under our desire to categorize and define
things could make this a tougher call.

- Figueta extranjera (foreign figueta) = thumb index with thumb in

Any mention of the word before this?

David - grateful