On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Edward Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear Ones,
>
> I have heard from a few sources that Universale strings are much longer
> lasting as trebles, compared to any brand of lamb or sheep gut. Some claim
> that a treble lasts 4-6 months!  I just made an inquiry on their web site,
> in terms of availability of these strings.
>
> I am interested in trying 0.42 or 0.4 size.
>
> Does anyone have experience with these strings?

Yes, I do.

> 1.  Do they sound as good as sheep gut?  If not, are they at least better
> sounding than nylon or nylgut?

I prefer the sound of Kathedrale, also _very_ long lasting, but some
do disagree about here. Universale is _much_ better than nylon, it
sounds like gut, feels like gut, tatstes like ... it is gut!

> 2.  Are they indeed much longer lasting than sheep gut?

Much, much longer indeed. They make sheep's gut string too. It's not
just cow's. I've recently ordered a sheep's set of 0.40. But the cow
ones won't break, so no chance to test yet.

David