If you are interested in typography there are some great free medieval
   and renaissance fonts. I found them originally from a note in a
   footnote in an article in one of the LSA Quarterlies that led me to
   [1]www.luminariium.org
   Go to the search and type in fonts and some interesting links will come
   up. There are also a lot of other interesting things on this web site.
   One of the things that I find interesting about the lute world, as
   compared to Celtic music where I have spent a lot a years doing
   business, is the imbalance between players and fans.  In the Celtic
   world there are many, many fans who have never played an instrument and
   just like to listen. These people go to concerts and festivals, buy
   CDs, T shirts and DVDs. They have groups of amateur musicians and some
   wonderful professionals, but much smaller percentages than I see in the
   lute world.  Lute music and early music seems to have a bigger
   percentage of amateurplayers and then there are all the potential fans
   or players, who don't even know it exists.  Some of the Celts talk
   about how wonderful it was when Riverdance came through and there were
   lots more people interested, but now all that has died down and we are
   back to near the level of interest before Riverdance.
   Nancy

     If all we encode is the music we disapoint those interested in the
     typography etc; but that is a seperate issue, one that librarys and
     other
     holders of the original publications and Mss need to address
     photographically.  Archived encodings of the music would be of
     service to
     musicologists and players, and might well reduce pressure on the
     originals, provided our work is done accurately.
     > there would be 20 times more
     > professional players, and thousands more amateurs.

   Nancy Carlin Associates
   P.O. Box 6499
   Concord, CA 94524  USA
   phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
   web site - [3]www.nancycarlinassociates.com
   Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
   web site - [4]http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org