On Jan 3, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Anthony Hind wrote:

I agree with you, being able to damp strings does not mean that you have to damp them all the time.
It is something to be kept in the panoply of the lute player. If you don't know how to do so, however,
you have no choice.
I add that I would prefer this was not true, as I am new to Baroque lute, and it is something I need to learn.

and:

I think there is often a tendance to overuse a technique, vibrato or whatever, that the player has just mastered, or likes to use. It is not specific to damping. The performance can then become far too mannered.

Your newness may render you innocent about the horrible, unspeakable Baroque lute past, in which damping the bass strings was taught as part of the basic technique, considered to be necessary to avoid having the bass strings ring like gongs and fog the music. Indeed, the Pyramid strings in common use 20 years ago tend to do this, because they sustain for a long time, which is what they were designed for; sustain was considered the hallmark of excellence in instruments and strings. So damping was not a matter of taste, but necessity.