Recorders, earlier ones, now often called "renaissance", were designed to be
played with the left hand in the upper or lower position. They had two "pinkie"
holes drilled, with the unused one being plugged by a piece of cork. A similar
design in some shawms and similar crustaceans. There goes the left handed wind
instrument.
 alexander