> In terms of comparing 11 and 13-course lutes, I have had one of each for a
> long time, and they are both identically strung in gut.  Although they are
> both very nice instruments, the character of sound is far different.  The
> 11-course is a 67.5 cm Frei, the 13 is a 70.5 cm Burkholtzer.  In theory,
> they should sound close,

Quite the opposite, rather. Bologna-shaped small 11c vs. Venere-shaped
middle-range 13c should result quite an audible difference.

> but they do not. The 13 course lute has much
> greater depth to the sound, where the Frei is more transparent or bright.

This (and many other details) is quite what should have been expected.
One of the recent LSA Lute Journals contains articles by the late Robert
Lundberg on changes in historical lute building and resulting changes in
sounds.

Mathias