> There have been discussions on the issue of barring (fan versus J-
> barring) on this list, but I don't think there is any automatic
> relation between swan-necks and fan-barring,

Well, there is. Provided that original swan-necked lutes are late, you
may well expect fan-barring. Rebuilt instruments like e. g. Martin
Hoffmann are exceptions to the rule.

> and rider lutes with J- barring.

No, rider lutes with fan-barring! As for reasoning, see above.

> Hypothesis 1, mechanic: Stephen Gottlieb told me that fan-barring
> developed simply to counteract the pulling force that additional
> number of strings apply to the sound-board through the bridge.

Stabilisation of the soundboard may be a side-effect but was by no means
the purpose. J-bars and fan bars are intended to have an impact on the
sound of the bass courses.

> Hypothesis 2, musical, increased bass: both increasing the bass
> courses and adopting fan barring were part of the same research into
> the bass register (plumbing the depths) in late German Baroque music.

What qualifies as late? Fan-barring shows up as early as around 1700.

> Hypothesis 2 would suggest that it would be likely to find swan-
> necked lutes with fan barring, as both tend to reinforce the bass
> register.

So why did you state the opposite above?

--
Mathias