Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:15 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: There is a traitor in our midst!

Rob, After listening to you, I saw there were other ukulele players
listed, and I listened to one or two.
Some were "virtuosi", and I might admire their skill, but it seemed
all flash and little music.

A couple of years ago, I went to a Hoppy concert organized by the
French guitar society.
In the first half there was a guitarist, and his LH technique was
exceptional, but it seemed
the music was just there to show off his skills.
Hoppy, on the other hand, seemed almost to dissappear behind his lute.
He created a small space of humble silence within which the subtle
nuances of the music
became the only focus for the audience.
Perhaps, occasionally these two attitudes to music snap together in
one performer, but I am not sure I have heard it.

Oh, and I certainly am a dilettante, but I just wish I was as good at
"dilettante-ing", as you seem to be.
Best wishes
Anthony