This piece is very problematic.

But why do you think that it is "obviously" a consort part?

Lyle Nordstrom has attributed many anonymous trebles to Johnson. Others have serious doubts ...

Rainer adS

Jean-Marie Poirier wrote:
I don't think there is such thing as a John Johnson's version of Green
Sleeves... ??? Probably you refer to the version in the Dd 3.18, Cambridge
Unibversity Library, which is obviously a consort part, but can, of course,
easily be adapted as a duet. But nothing in the manuscript points to that
destination, or did I miss something ?

Best wishes,

Jean-Marie

======= 20-01-2009 16:53:03 =======

A friend of mine is looking at different versions of Green Sleeves and has asked me if I can help with dating early versions. I can't, but maybe someone here can. He had thought that the William Ballet Lute MS version was the earliest written one. It was compiled between 1595-1610. Does John Johnson's version for two lutes predate Ballet?

Thanks,

Doc Rossi

Orange vous informe que cet e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail. Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = jmpoiri...@wanadoo.fr
http://poirierjm.free.fr
20-01-2009