Mudarra, in his "Tres Libros..." of 1546 uses (only once, in #38
Fantasia (quinto tono), Lib. II, f. 14, bar 39) a fret labelled "XI", and it
is the eleventh fret (f# in g tuning). Interestingly, in regard to tempering
of frets, he never uses f#'s from different courses at the same time.

Regards,
Leonard Williams

       /[ ]
       /   \