On Sat, Jan 31, 2009, "Mathias Rösel" <mathias.roe...@t-online.de> said:

> My interest was to see how 11th or 12th frets would be written in German
> tablature. The 10th fret on 1st course 9 with a dash above it. Notes on
> the 11th and 12th frets would have to be letters with double dashes
> above them. I ran through the entire book but couldn't find any of them.

that is a differnet issue, yes, high position play is a problem for the
system called german tab.

Again, each scribe had her own idea of how to extend the german tablature
notation.

Wolf analyzed it at length in his Notationskunde, but the german is long
out of print. Apel summerizes wolf in english, but gives few examples; we
have gone into it here more than once.  I was working on a revision of the
wikipedia article, but havent got the needed illos ready yet.  Here it is
in ascii tab.

An extended alphabet is used to label the stops over the entire
fingerboard of the lute.  This allows a row of glyphs to encode each of
several  polyphonic voices.

Basic scheme (Newsidler 1536.)
Note,  7 = ‘et’,  9 = ‘con’,  / signifies an overstrike or line-above.

5       e       k       p       v       9       /e      /k      /p      /v
/9
4       d       j       o       t       7       /d      /j      /o      /t
/7
3       c       h       n       s       z       /c      /h      /n      /s
/z
2       b       g       m       r       y       /b      /g      /m      /r
/y
1       a       f       l       q       x       /a      /f      /       /q
/x

Alternative basic scheme (Heckel, 1556)
5       e       k       p       v       9       ee      kk      pp      vv
4       d       j       o       t       7       dd      jj      oo      tt
3       c       h       n       s       z       cc      hh      nn      ss
2       b       g       m       r       y       bb      gg      mm      rr
1       a       f       l       q       x       aa      ff      ll      qq

The basic scheme failed to anticipate downward additions to the compass of
the instrument, a variety of schemes were implemented in different sources
to notate the stops on additional bass courses.  Wolf HdN tafel 1 [J.
Wolf, Handbuch der Notationskunde II, Leipzig 1929] has made note of some
20 schemes in a variety of sources, many of differing in only by trivial
details; I summarize them here:

S. VirdungA. Schlick    15111512        /1      A       F       L       Q
X       AA      FF
Luscinius       1536    /1      /A      F       L       Q       X       /AA
/FF
M Agricola      1529    /1      /A      /f      /l      /q      /x      //A
FF
H. Newsidler    1536    /1      /a      /f      /l      /q      /x      //aa
//ff
W. HeckelB. Jobin       15561572        /1      /a      /f      /l      /q
/x      /aa     /ff     /ll
H. NewsidlerSixt KargelM.
Newsidler       153615861574    /1//1   A/A     B/B     C/C     D/D     E/E
F/F     G/G     H, J, K/H. /J, /K
H GerleR WyssenbachS. OchsenkunG
Krengel 1532155015581584        /1      /2      /3      /4      /5      /6
/7      /8      /9,  /10
H. JudenkunigH. J. Wecker       15231552        A       B       C       D
E       F       G
M. Grasse       1584    /1//1///1       B/B//B  C/C//C  D/C//C  E/E//E  F/F//F
G/G//G  H/H     J,
K, L/J, /K, /L

--
Dana Emery