David T, David R,

On 2009-02-03, at 17:30, David Rastall wrote:

On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:19 AM, David Tayler wrote:

I'm old fashioned, I guess;  I think the old ways are better.

You mean your father and grandfather's or the Bocquet and Mouton way? As I'd objectively appreciate and trust the first solution (at last you should remember), I'd be much concerned about the second, as I know close to nothing.

We love to change the past in order to make it better.  Or so we
rationalize.  Didn't JS Bach add his own basso continuo to one of the
Palestrina masses.  Yikes!!!  But Bach himself, who I think had great
respect for the "stile antico" would have thought that he was
improving the piece by bringing it up to date.

A piece of music consist of an abstract structure and a performance in certain way. Bach, I suppose, did nothing to improve the abstract structure, just performed it his way, as continuo is a matter of ''performance practice''.

The question is, what exactly were the old ways?  Did the old ones
play their allemandes and bourees with their local lute god's
fingering and ornament instructions propped up in front of them.  I
imagine they all did at first, but sooner or later one has to go
beyond the primer stage and get into the music on one's own terms.

This is simply at certain time and place a fashion of doing things one or the other way, like wearing jacket or a long coat. Often there is a guru who dictates it through his publications or popularity. Most follow him...

Segovia once likened all the rules and regulations involved in
learning music, as a scaffolding:  eventually the scaffolding has to
come down, and the building will then, hopefully, be able to stand on
its own...

We lived up to a time when computers can present such an abstract vision of a piece. But people, by nature, all the time dress it with something extra. We too, with our lutes, just differently then Segovia. Unfortunately we have no recording of Dowland and Sor ;-) Thus, there is no objective image of a piece+execussion, as there is no objective history -- we are creating it always anew. Sad? Inspiring? Dangerous?

I also think one learns more form one note of a great player than a
whole book of deconstructionist.

Absolutely!  Deconstruction is temporary;  music is forever.

So you both think ''deconstruction'' as a method is bad. Hm, I wonder if we all think about the same. But I fear you are permanently deconstructing the music lying on your music stand and joining up together some way..., aren't you?

DR
dlu...@verizon.net

______