On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Peter Martin <peter.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   My real question was about the highest professional standards, and
>   specifically whether lutenists can ever hope to match the standards of
>   top pianists or violinists, for example, while they persist in
>   spreading their efforts over so many different instruments.

I have to say that I think the answer is, yes.

First off, though, I have to disclaim that I don't do well at "who is
better, Perlmann or Brendel?" kinds of questions. There are
differences between instruments which necessitate differences in what
makes for mastery. I doubt that Brendel ever concerns himself with
intonation, while playing: for a pianist, it is all tone and control.
Can you really compare a pianist with a violinist, then? The violin,
on the other hand, rarely has to deal with more than one voice at a
time, and never ever has to deal with voices singing four octaves
apart. It is an entirely different ball of wax to integrate six voices
in a Bach fugue into ten fingers on a keyboard from anything a violin
soloist has to deal with.

So, then, is Paul O'dette so much less a master of lute _and_ theorbo
or chitarrone than Perlmann or Midori on violin, Brendel or Ashkenazi
or Perahiah on piano, Harrell or Ma on 'cello... etc, etc, etc.

We have a number of very accomplished virtuosi playing lutes,
theorbos, archlutes, chitarroni... O'dette, North, Smith... they're
all different, but they all take lute music, and within fairly
historical boundaries produce music that rises above the marks on the
paper to move hearts. Is it necessary that we question their mastery?
(As a counter, we could complain all day about POD's breathing, the
odd whistling noises that a better microphone placement or adhesive
snore-stopper might have eliminated. But is the a mark on his
virtuosoisity? If so, what then of Malcolm Frager, an acknowledged
virtuoso, famous and well-paid, whom I saw in the 70's, whose pedal
foot's restless motion under the bench and back to the pedals even
when no action was required from it distracted me completely from his
performance? Does that disable him as a virtuoso? Or Perlmann's
mugging?)

So I'd have to say that I haven't seen any sign that the lute pros are
being held back by playing more than one variety of lute, or, for that
matter, that lute virtuosi in our time are significantly or noticeably
less virtuosoistic (yes, I did pick that term up from Peter Schickele.
Sorry!) than other instruments' luminaries.

ray