Anthony,

On 2009-02-08, at 19:16, Anthony Hind wrote:

Indeed, there are signs that there were disagreements, between lutenists of past times.

About the practice of using Bologna lutes...

Some lutenists like Mace and Jacques Gautier, who seem to...

The description by Mace of J. Gautier showing...

We see that the king, and one of Jacques Gaultier's students bought these lutes, not Gaultier, himself, who...

While in Burwell, in contrast, we see a scathing attack on Gautier's 12c lute.

This makes me think that even then, there could be controversy between "ancients and moderns"...

Fantastic!!! I'd love to have all this in a book format. I think you are certainly able and qualified to do it. Anthony, please, write a handbook for lutenists. As for now, I'm struggling today for a bit of time to practice, as beside of having a good master and a talent, by all means one need a motivation for a hard work. Another truism (to annoy Roman ;-)).

Am I wrong or not but all appogiaturas I hear are sharp ''backwords'', not to say about other ''nuances''...

I am afraid I have not quite understood this last remark, so I can not tell you whether you are mistaken or not.

This was seemingly out of this topic, but you've included the exemple here so I couldn't resist a reaction. But I should rather extract it and put into the ''French trill''.

To put it simple, evidently Satoh, a master for more then one generation of lute players, since some time in avant-guard of research on stringing, an icon of a ''new'' right hand approach to baroque technique, playes the basic French appogiatura (notated with a coma after a letter) in such a unorthodox way??? And I know, his students do the same.

You may take it as a critic, as I wolud do 5 or 25 years ago. But it is a wider thing. You can find questionable elements in playing of several people, including ''stars'', but in such cases it is never discused -- to delicate? Or perhaps it desn't matter, like single strung instruments, hybrids, toy-theorboes, prevailing renesans tuning on archlutes in most baroque continuo performances. etc, etc.

I think the EM movement once was a stroke of genius, but from the start it had a concealed virus (or more then one) -- an immanent conflict between historical evidence and common musical sens. Now it is to obvious and hundreds of HIP cases testify to this, every day. Let's be honest...

But I'd love to have your book on phisics of lute!
And I value your knowledge, immensaly.

Regards
Anthony

Jurek