Dan;

Did you read the aforementioned interview with Paul O'dette. I don't think anyone has ever been satisfied with their results. I play St. Colombe, Marais, and, occasionally Forqueray on the bass viol as well as Dowland, Terzi et al on the renaissance lute and Weiss, Falckenhagen, various Gaultiers etc. on the baroque lute as well as Guerau, Sans, de Murcia, Corbetta, et al on baroque guitar as well as Villa-Lobos, Rodrigo, Britten et al on modern guitar and Miles, Wes, Jim Hall, Charlie Byrd etc. on jazz guitar as well as Oscar Pettiford and Charlie Parker on double bass. I play 3 or 4 jazz guitar or double bass gigs a month, 4 or 5 classical and early music concerts a year with some pretty accomplished musicians. While it's true if I narrowed my focus a little I might be a little more polished, but I'm having too much fun and wouldn't change my approach. I leave judgements about how successful I am at what I do to others. So much great music to play and so little time. Got to go practice.

Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Winheld" <dwinh...@comcast.net>
To: "gary digman" <magg...@sonic.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 10:25 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Dilettantism

>What's your definition of "doing better"?

Easy. If I had locked up all my viel ton instruments for two or three
years, had a day job with fewer hours, I would have gained complete
technical control of the 13-course d-minor lute. ALL the chord shapes
& positions, cross-string scale passage fingerings and ornaments
would be solidly in the muscle-memory bank; about a dozen Weiss
suites would be publicly playable, not to mention Reusner, Bittner,
and the French dudes- unmeasured preludes would no longer be an
eternal mystery- you see where this is going.

On the viol, I might have progressed to St. Colombe, Marais,
Forqueray et al. A lot of this is individual choice, influenced by
individual circumstances- such as time & talent. I have only limited
amounts of both, plus some non-musical obsessions that are part of a
full plate in life.

No regrets, however, just enough whining to feel good about it all.

Dan