Hi Chris,

I also would see no problem in carving the rose in a warmer (and thus drier) room. Remember that humidity is measured is as relative humidity: the actual moisture in the air relative to the amount of moisture the air could hold at that temperature. For the same amount of moisture in the air, the relative humidity goes down as the temperature goes up. You might want to glue on your bracing in the warmer and drier environment at home. It's easier for the soundboard to adjust to an increase in humidity with the braces in place than it is for it to cope with a drastic decrease in humidity. That's why you get cracked soundboards when people put their lute cases next to radiators in the winter.

My workshop is in the basement of my house, which goes through seasonal changes in humidity from summer to winter. I deliberately prepare wood for building in the summer when the humidity is higher, but actually build instruments in the winter, when the humidity is at its lowest. Seems to work for me.

Good luck and have fun!

Tim