just wanted to say thanks to you all for the rich discussion on this
Chris

Timothy Motz wrote:
Thank you Dana. That was my point exactly and you explained it better than I did.

I've worked in art museums for 25 years, where we are very concerned with temperature and humidity for reasons similar to those of luthiers. The ideal is about 68 degrees Farenheit and about 55 percent relative humidity, with minimal variation. Should a gallery have problems with dropping humidity, the easiest way to fix that is to drop the temperature a bit. But these days with modern computer controlled HVAC systems that hardly every happens. I keep one of my first lutes in the office to practice on during my lunch hour, and it rarely goes out of tune as a result, even with gut strings.

One thing that DvE and Spanish guitar builders don't deal with as much as American builders is excessively high indoor temperatures (above 72 degrees Farenheit) with resulting extremely low relative humidity, close to that of desert conditions. Even with a humidifier on my furnace and the temperature kept at 68 degrees, I get nosebleeds at home from the dry air and have to use saline sprays. So when I say I assemble instruments in the winter, that's the extreme temperature/humidity conditions I'm attempting to compensate for. I lived in Italy for a short time, and I do remember that they didn't keep their indoor temperatures at NEARLY what I was used to. Lots of sweaters. So the seasonal changes in humidity might be less drastic.

I appreciated Richard's explanation of what happens during the compression of a soundboard due to swelling. I had never stopped to consider it's effects on the wood fibers.

Tim