On Feb 15, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Andrew Gibbs wrote:

> Is there any evidence of what temperament the lutenist and singer -
> I'm thinking mainly of late 16th c lute songs - would have agreed
> on? Would the lutenist tune to get close to the temperament the
> singer had trained to sing in (just intonation?) - or would the
> singer helpfully adjust to suit the tending-towards-ET lute
> accompaniment? Or does it just work with voice and lute in
> different temperaments? I've never been clear about this...

Temperament is mostly the concern of musicians who play fixed-pitch
instruments.  A singer doesn't have to worry about it, because the
singer can adjust as needed.  Temperament is just a poor substitute
for what a good singer does as a matter of course.

In any event, it strikes me as unlikely to the point of absurdity
that a singer could remember and reproduce the difference between
fifth-comma and sixth-comma meantone, but no singer I've ever worked
with has even had occasion to talk about temperament.