I snuck a peek at the other stringed instrument in the picture (to the
right, on the side table, partly hidden by music), perhaps a violin or
viola.  Curiously thick neck on it.  Only the bass string is visible, gave
me the impression of gut.

Hmmm, speaking of that music, it was uprioght, perhaps this is evidence of
music stands, something I have seen little evidence of before (only the
ones fixed to the large table sene in the painting which adorned the cover
of Munrow's book _Instruments of the Middles ages and Renaissance_; not
certain of the title or artist, (style is highly realistic, parrots are
depicted), possibly 'hearing' or 'senses'.
--
Dana Emery