Measure the holes, examine the marks, scratches, toolmarks, analyze
the strings, analyze the wood near the strings for trace residue,
etc, etc, it is all very basic research.
The biggest chunk of information will be a clearer picture of
reentrant tuning. When I used to look at these instruments
30-35  years ago, I wasn't specifically looking at the bridges. Now
it is much harder to examine the instruments. But I don't remember
seeing a lot of "double reentrant" holes. Not saying they were not
there, just doesn't ring a bell. I'm sure I could have missed it :) I
will, however, be very surprised if they are all drilled out for
double reentrant. Results never fit the theory. Can't think of a
single example where that has happened. Can't wait.
There is lots of knowledge to be gained by basic research, as there always is.
dt