Getting to the core of the matter in this global rumination; a trip
down memory lane (to show how far we've come...)

  In the early 1970's I got my first lightly built, historically
informed lute- an 8 course tenor, Laux Maler body style, by the late
keyboard maker Hugh Gough, in New York City. It wasn't long before I
became deeply dissatisfied with the gnarly snarly "sitar" strings
from Pyramid. "Well, they used all gut back in the old days, right?"
I reasoned, so with Hugh's help I got gut trebles from Pirastro, and
thick gut basses from Lyon & Healy, the harp company. Of course I
knew nothing of original bridge holes- didn't even occur to me. The
thick, low-twist heavily varnished gut basses were as flexible as
rebar, but nevertheless I got small hand drill equipment and became
quite skilled in gouging great, huge holes in delicate lute bridges
without quite destroying them (the still strong & functioning bridge
on my original Robert Lundberg lute is a frightening sight, when
viewed eye level on the plane of the soundboard from the end cap.)

And I gave performances with these thick, muddy sounding awful gut
basses- the worst was a hot, humid evening that made tuning a joke.
The audience received an object lesson on the manifold advantages of
new, improved lute strings perfected by the most modern technology-
and Mattheson's ghost was roaring with laughter.

Of course Damian is correct about how thick a string can get before
the bending for securing at the bridge becomes impossible- and yet I
was attempting to force the impossible with stiff, 2.00 mm. "gut"
rods-sometimes with the help of needle-nose pliers! -It would have
been just as easy (and sounded just as good) to use raw spaghetti- I
lived close enough to the Little Italy section of lower Manhattan to
have gotten it fresh, too. Is it not interesting that the same people
who have given us pasta (thank god that tradition wasn't lost! Who
wants mercury loaded linguini for dinner?) also once provided us with
thin, flexible, fine sounding gut bass strings?

In spite of it all, I still find gut strings- proper gut of course-
to be the only completely satisfactory string for sound and feel on
my lutes & vihuela, and I have a first generation loaded gut from
Mimmo on one 7th course, but it's old and frayed- due for replacement
one of these years. Sadly only the vihuela wears an all gut outfit
for now.

however plausible- but the Ed Martin-Dan Larson symbiotic
relationship is no doubt a small example of the R&D procedures of the
old days- so may the work on all lines continue to bear fruit.

Dan

>"The string must still be secured in the bridge in the conventional way.
>I find that even with very high torsion strings that 1.75mm is the maximum
>that one can bend and manipulate.  And that happens to be what I end
>up with as my 11th course.  So here is a piece of practical information
>based on the properties of the material."

"Measure the holes... When I used to look at these instruments 30-35
years ago, I wasn't specifically looking at the bridges."