On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM,  <angevin...@att.net> wrote:

> No, I mean plain old modern staff notation.  Not the esoteric, specialized
> stuff of early Western music.  Mensural, as is "Add mensural staff" of
> Fronimo.  Sorry if the use of the not-quite-exact term was confusing.  I'm
> just meaning to contrast tablature with staff notation.
>
> Suzanne

Awww. that spoils all the fun.

OK, basically, you're going to read one of two clefs with lutes in G
or A (which we could call tenor lute and alto lute, if you want):
treble clef and alto clef. If the treble clef is transposed-treble
(i.e., has the 8 underneath the clef sign), then an interesting thing
happens: A in the alto clef (second line up) is G in the transposed
treble clef.

So, if you learn the treble clef using the A lute, you can read the
alto clef by changing lutes. You have to be aware of some niceties.
Mostly, you have to be aware that, if you are playing in C in
transposed treble on the G lute, all the notes on lines and spaces are
natural, but if you are playing the A lute on the alto clef with music
written in C, you'll be "three sharps up" on the other parts. Think of
it this way: if you start with G lute on the second line of the
transposed treble and play three notes, G A B, you are playing a whole
tone and a whole tone up. If you start with the same note on the same
line (concert A in this case) in alto clef on the A lute, you'll put
your finger in the same place as you would have on the G lute in
Transposed treble. The next note up, concert B (looking like an A),
will be whole tone up. But the next note would be concert C natural
with no sharps or flats in the signature, and you will want to play it
as a concert C# because it will look to you like a B. So to adjust,
you'll have to add three flats.

If the key signature has sharps, each sharp nullifies a flat. If it
has flats, you just add them.  So if the original signature has one
sharp, you'll have to play alto clef with the A lute and use a
signature with two flats, but other than that trick, you can read the
notes as if you were reading transposed treble on the G lute!

So I'd start reading transposed treble clef on the G lute, and after I
was comfortable with that, start reading alto clef parts on the A lute
with the signature gimmick.

Only I wouldn't. I, personally, have always found it more convenient
(and less confusing) to just learn each instrument as its own entity,
and then learn to read each clef on it anew. It's a facility I have,
but probably isn't shared by many others (judging from the amount of
work that goes into coming up with ways of circumventing it, like the
above.)

ray