Break it down into steps. Your mind is very adaptable to pattern recognition.
Step 1: G clef. Practice G clef by playing renaissance part music,
for example, Odhecaton. Playing this repertory will also tie in to
lute music, so it is doubly helpful.
You can also read through the Susato dance books, any renaissance
part music will do. Josquin and Lasso are very good for style. The
Morley duets make nice lute duets if you find a colleague who is
interested in reading music.

Step 2: Pattern recognition in clusters, G clef and Bass clef: Lute songs.
Start in on lute songs. Use the Elizabethan Songbook--readily
available on eBay--because there is no tablature. You must not have
the Tab on the page.
Start with "Jack and Joan". There are only three or four chords in
this piece, you can work through it in 20 minutes or so.
The notes are grouped on the clefs, and this is what is needed to get
to the next step.
Also, you will pick up the voice part subconciously.

Step 3: Two parts of three and four parts
Using the music that you played through to learn one part, play the
lowest two parts.

Step 4: Chord recognition
Taking both part music and simple scores, write in the chords.

Step 5: Figured bass (big topic)

Step 6: Larger scores Take the Handel Opera Rinaldo and fully figure
the bass part.

Step 7: Larger, complex scores: fully figure Rameau's Dardanus

You could add an intermediate step for trio sonatas, however Opera is
the fastest way to learn.
If you cannot work with a teacher you can play along with a CD
recording for the later steps.

You can easily work through step 6 in two years, working slowly and carefully.
The lute song step quickly trains your eye to accept more than one
note at once--it is essential.
dt