Hi Guys,

Some more vintage lute recordings for you - as with last time, do check your local laws before downloading these files, which are out of copyright here in the UK.

First, something of a premier recording - the first ever recording of Dowland's Lachrimae from 1957. No lute featured (!) but instead the lute part is played on the virginals. The lute pioneer Desmond Dupré is one of the viol players, however. He features on the other side of this recording playing all sorts of things on his lute - some of which my friend Nick, who transferred the recordings, describes as "comical":

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.classical.recordings/browse_thread/thread/3ee37e3bd51bc035/c9068ae8f888fbfc#c9068ae8f888fbfc

And here is an early Telemann recording featuring Walter Gerwig plucking away on a continuo line:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.classical.recordings/browse_thread/thread/3ee37e3bd51bc035/c9068ae8f888fbfc#c9068ae8f888fbfc

Hope you enjoy them - thanks to my colleague Nick for his sterling work in the transfers.

Best wishes,

Peter