>>On a side note: when did modern guitar TAB (equals Milan's) arise?

I know it existed in the 1970's. I learned a version of the the
ragtime tune "St. Louis Tickle" intabulated in that notation by Dave
van Ronk. I adjusted LH fingering for lute tuning, and played it on
my 6-course lute at one of the Barrington, Rhode Island LSA seminars
in maybe 1976.

I'm glad that Mel Bay has been given some credit. After all, Luis
Milan was his first student. Some things just take a while to catch
on. Any upside-down French tab out there, somewhere?