From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of David van Ooijen
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 9:53 AM
To: lute-cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Lute recordings in meantone

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:17 PM, howard posner <howardpos...@ca.rr.com>
wrote:
> I explained to him that pretty much all the solo renaissance lute
> records made in the recent decades are in some sort of meantone, that
> players don't tend to advertise their tuning systems,

I happen to have seen a number of lute CDs recently that do advertise
the temperaments used. Often 1/6 comma MT. Oh dear, cannot find the
references now. Of hand:

Matthew Wadsworth (14 Silver Strings and the Johnson CD): 1/6 comma MT
La Milanoyse by Charles-Edouard Fantin has a picture of visible
tastini. Looked like 1/4 comma MT to me.

On several CDs we can hear some sort of non-ET in a trade-off: some
beautiful thirds and some rather out of tune chords. ;-)

When the CDs with mention of temperament used come to mind, I'll let you
know.

David