On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Martin Shepherd <mar...@luteshop.co.uk> wrote:
> Something I have only become aware of recently is that piano tuners in the
> 19th/20th century who thought they were tuning ET actually modified it
> slightly,

They always did and still do. But intentionally, mind you, they don't
think they tune ET, that would be 'beneath their dignity' as any
machine could do that! They 'adjust' or 'sweeten' the thirds as they
call it. There are books full of different piano temperaments, but
essentially these are just the more or less arbitrary personal
preferences of tuners and players. Nothing mysterous about it, just a
good set of ears.

David - endless tuning