Sometimes the controversy and the uncertainty make for better reading than the often boring truth. It makes the music more interesting as well; for those looking for clues within styles and motives. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Walker, Jr." <twlute...@hotmail.com>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 3:01 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Tracetti vs. Pinti?

Hello all,

I'm wondering about the identity of the Laurencini of Besard's collection.
It seems we have at least two viable candidates for the Lorenzino of
Thesaurus Harmonicus.  If I read Mariagrazia Carlone's work properly, she
believes the Knight to be Vincenzo Pinti. However, I just scanned the notes
of Marco Pesci's cd devoted to Lorenzino, and he vies for Lorenzino
Tracetti.

Any general views on this?  I just finished a cd of Italian lute music c.
1600, including a handful of tunes by Lorenzino.  I don't intend to delve
deep in the scholarship on this topic, much less add anything new, but I
would like to get some facts straight before I write the CD notes (last task
remaining).

Thanks much all,

Thomas Walker, Jr.