"Jerzy Zak" <jurek...@gmail.com> schrieb:
> That reminds me the term rather seldom used nowadays: "teorbierte
> laute" (or close to that spelling),

It's become part of the history of research. With Pohlmann (ch. 7),
Theorbenlaute was synonymous to theorbierte Laute. According to his
definition, Theorbenlauten were lutes with first pegboxes bent back and
second pegboxes attached in the direction of the neck.

If I'm not mistaken, that's rather what we'd call double-headed lutes
today.

To complete confusion, he added: "Theorbierte Lauten werden auch
Knickhalslauten genannt, die auf dem Wirbelkasten links und/oder rechts
Aufsaetze fuer die hoechsten und tiefsten Saiten haben."
Theorbierte Lauten are also called Knickhalslauten (lutes with bent-back
necks), which have riders on their pegboxes on the left and(or on the
right for the highest or lowest strings.

Back then, I stood in awe, completely puzzled by this sophisticated
"definition". My, o my.

> the untranslatable to Polish "re-entrant".

It hasn't been appropiately translated to German, either. Some have
tried ruecklaeufig (downward, falling, katabatic, recurrent,
retrogressive), but in German that term evokes notions of someone
running back, and doesn't make clear that the _tuning_ is sort of
"coming back".

Mathias