Dear All,

Just a comment on the more general "what is an archlute?" question, in terms of the surviving instruments and music:

Robert Spencer's article (1976) distinguished between the liuto attiorbato and what I tend to call the "continuo archlute". The liuto attiorbato seems to have been especially popular in Venice in the 1630s and 40s and large numbers of them survive from the Sellas workshop. They usually have 14 courses, all double, and string lengths of about 58/85 or 64/93 (two sizes a tone apart). I assume these are essentially solo instruments. This is the instrument I associate with the music of Piccinini and Melii.

The continuo archlutes appear later, 1660s-70s, and they are mostly converted lutes with string lengths of about 67cm (double courses) and single basses of about 145cm. I think Lynda Sayce has suggested that these instruments were something of a Roman phenomenon, and indeed a low Roman pitch would make sense of the size of these instruments - if they are nominally in G we must be talking about a pitch at least a tone below modern.

In modern times we have all kinds of hybrid instruments, small single-strung liuti attiorbati, etc., and a tendency to play at a'=440 or a'=415, neither of which are really practical for continuo archlutes. I think it is a pity to string any of these instruments with wire-wound strings, since the design, with the extended basses, was obviously intended to enhance the sound of gut strings. I suppose the problem for the modern continuo player is that there are no modern orchestras which play at a suitably low pitch. When I hear the single-strung, wire-wound, small archlute I wonder why pretend it is a historical instrument? The electric guitar is very versatile, you can play at any volume you want, seems like a good idea to me - oh, I forgot, it's not lute-shaped.

Best wishes,

Martin