> In its widest sense, the theorbo simply means a lute based on
> either a bass lute or a renaissance lute with an extended neck.
> However, even as I write this, I know that there are those who
> will of course disagree.

I wonder who would disagree, as this simpl= y is the widest possible
definition. Theorbo lute with extended neck.

> were around twelve types of theorbo historically, many of those have

Twelve types of use of the name, you meant to say, I take it?

> One point that you make concerning the tuning: I don't believe that it
> is possible to determine the tuning of an original instrument--for one
> thing, there were many tunings and many pitches.

Hm... what about a Tieffenbrucker 7c (IIRC) with 44cm vibrating string
length? 6c Hieber 58 cm? 14c Sellas 65cm (fretboard)? You can come close
to plausible guesses for relative tunings, at least.

> Lastly, I must addd that even though the modern references are in
> agreement about the erzlaute,

I'm sorry?

> Etymology fo Lute as Arabic for "wood" but this is also
> incorrect as the early writers consulted modern Arabic
> dictionaries instead of medieval ones.

What's wrong with that? 'oud means wood, = even in Qur'anic Arabic. The
actual question was whether wood referred to t= he building material of
the Oud or to the material of the mizrab (plectrum).

Mathias